“The President has instructed the Department of National Defense and the Armed Forces of the Philippines to prepare a report on the events over the past weekend as a guide for future policy and actions in similar situations,” he said.
On Monday, the AFP said it wanted UNDOF commander Lt. Gen. Iqbal Singh Singha, an Indian national, investigated by the UN for allegedly endangering the safety of the Filipino peacekeepers when he ordered them to lay down their firearms as demanded by the Syrian rebels.
AFP chief Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang said Singha ordered the Filipino peacekeepers to surrender their firearms to secure the release of the Fijian peacekeepers who were taken by the rebels after they surrendered their firearms.
Catapang said such order was not covered by the terms of reference of peacekeeping agreement with the UN.
The Fijian peacekeepers – at least 44 of them – were captured by the Syrian rebels who overran their position last week. They remained in captivity as of yesterday.
Their 75 Filipino counterparts, holed up at Positions 68 and 69, engaged their attackers in a seven-hour firefight after days of standoff