Thu Jun 26, 2014Taken from/By: FBC
NewsReport by: Apisalome Coka
The Republic of Fiji Military Forces has expressed disappointment with a report carried by the Australian newspaper – The Age – saying it totally misinterpreted a statement by the Military Commander. Brigadier General Mosese Tikoitoga said the way the newspaper reported his interview was unacceptable.“The Newspaper cutting that appeared in the Australian Age was an interview i did last year, early last year sometimes, when i was interviewed by the Australian journalist. Unfortunately they have decided to print a paragraph of about over an hour’s interview, which took the whole context of what i said totally out of context.”Tikoitoga said he had confirmed people were taken to the military camp after the coup, but not recently as the article implied.“I know specifically that i said, i did not deny that there were people taken to task for some events, but i was referring to the 2007, 2008 period and I’m sure all Fijians would appreciate that in 2007, 2008 was a totally different security climate and the RFMF had to do what it had to do to maintain peace and security for the majority of Fijians, if we had allowed people to form militant groups or opposition groups it could turn into a disaster as far as security is concerned.”Tikoitoga said the report by the newspaper was misleading and uncalled for.