I, Millis Malcolm Beddoes of Lot 6, Luvuci, Sabeto Nadi, in the Province of BA, do solemnly declare as follow:
- I am the complainant
- Over the past few weeks and months I have become aware that Mr Frank Bainimarama, The Fiji Sun and other media outlets as well as associates of Mr Bainimarama have repeatedly breached the provisions of the Political Parties (Registration, Conduct, Funding and Disclosures) Decree 2013 Decree No 4 of 2013.
- In particular I believe that he and his associates have breached Part 2 –Registration & Regulation of political parties which states quote:-
3 (1) An association of persons or an organization shall not operate, function, represent or hold itself out to be a political party unless it has been registered as a political party in accordance with the provisions of this decree.
(2) If any association of persons or an organization operate, function, represent or hold itself out to be a political party without being registered in accordance with the provisions of this decree, then any person who is a member of or holds office in any such association or organization commits an offence and shall be liable upon conviction to a fine of $50,000 or a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or both.
Sec 3 Amended
(2A) If any media organization reports, represents or holds out an association of persons or an organization as a political party when that association of persons or an organization is not registered as a political party under the Decree or when its application for registration has not been determined by the Registrar, then the directors of that media organization and the editor and publisher or the Chief Executive officer of that media organization, as the case may be, commits an offence, and shall be liable upon conviction to a fine not exceeding $50,000 or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or both”
- There are many persons and incidents of breaches to these regulations, however for the purposes of supporting this declaration and complaint I outline the following specific persons and organizations as a first step in your investigation:-
- Mr Voreqe Bainimarama 5. C.J.Patel
- Dr J Luveni 6. Fiji Village
- The Fiji Sun 7. Fiji Broadcasting Corporation
- Frank Bainimarama along with the persons and organizations listed above have been promoting and holding Bainimarama and his current organization out to be a political party for some time now, without their party being registered.
- The Media organizations and companies named above being fully aware of the contents and provisions of Decree No 4 of 2013 continue to promote and hold out Frank Bainimarama’s organization to be a political party, knowing full well that it has not been registered.
- I would like to formally make this complaint to the Police and ask that you investigate and apply the full provisions of the Political Parties Decree No 4 as far as the offence is concerned and where you determine that the breaches were made, apply the provisions stated in the decree.
- The Information and publications of the breaches referred to are many and readily available, in the daily papers and other websites, however I will provide you with ‘specific’ evidence of the breaches below and can provide further evidence to assist with your investigations should the need arise.
SIGNED BY ME ON THIS 30th Day of March 2014
MILLIS M BEDDOES